I'm thinking it has to do with creation and how it all has to work together in concert. You don't just insert one troublemaker into a storyline simply to cause chaos, but if you cause the other players to grow and develop, then it has purpose. Ford sees his role as a creator...Arnold was one too. They differed on the purpose and the method. Who was/is the well mannered one?
First and foremost, Bravos to those of you who pegged the Bernarnold theory. I'm a little late to this party so I'm not sure who to give credit.
A few comments:
1. Who is the man in the middle of the picture with Ford and Arnold? I know one of the house bots looked like this guy but I'm not sure who he is. Ford's Father? 2. Now we know that Arnold didn't die in the park...he was murdered...by Doloris. 3. Great bit of theater between Maeve and Bernarnold. Maeve is going to be a force to reckon with. 4. MIB...either sets on the board or is the board's chairman. I suppose there is still a possibility that he is William. 5. What is the speculation on why the "ghost nation" natives at the end did not respond to Luke Hemsworth's commands? 6. Any chance that Bernarnold comes back? Or was the blast to his melon the end?
1. Yup, Ford's father (or a host version of Ford's father)
4. William gets the photo of his fiancee, it's the same photo that shows up on the Abernathy farm. Since the MiB mentions his wife, it ties in. The MiB being on the board and also having a "foundation" that heals the sick - not a stretch for William's future at all. Still a big fan of this.
Also it seems like the MiB recognizes the blonde from... William's welcome on the train?
5. Seems to me that the blonde woman who stabs Teddy has "been through the maze" - not sure what that says about her Ghost Nations compatriots. Still mulling.
6. Welp. If Ford created Bernarnold after his death and with a new body, sure, he could make another one and start fresh? Not sure how that serves the narrative.
With Bernard, Theresa, Stubbs (we think) and Elsie (we think) gone, there aren't any named characters other than Ford and the lowly techs like Felix to man the command center. So some of them have to return I would think.